Barcroft School and Civic League
The community is bounded by South George Mason Drive to the east, Washington & Old Dominion trail and S. Abington Street to the west, Arlington Boulevard to the north, and Columbia Pike to the South.
Barcroft neighborhood owes its name to Dr. John Woolverton Barcroft. Dr Barcroft built and operated a mill after the Civil War on the foundations of the Arlington Mill. Barcroft's neighborhood civic association, originally known as the Barcroft Citizens Association, has been in continuous operation since at least 1907. The name was changed in 1908 to The Barcroft School and Civic League (BSCL) when the Barcroft School moved into the newly constructed Barcroft Community House at 8th Street South and South Buchanan Street. The Barcroft Community House has now been designated as a local Historic District, and is the neighborhood's most important landmark. Throughout its history as a neighborhood, Barcroft has been a quiet residential area whose residents prize its tranquility, ease of access to the District of Columbia, and friendly neighbors.
The neighborhood is also affected by the 2005 BRAC recommendations at the Army National Guard Readiness Center. The community works with Arlington County BRAC office to mitigate traffic and construction concerns affecting this residential community.
Source: Barcroft School and Civic League